Car Accident Tips from Your Local Rolfer™
If you’ve ever been in a major (or minor) car accident, you know that it can be a traumatizing and life changing experience. Even accidents at low speed that cause minimal injury (or none that can be detected at the time) can be potentially harmful. An injury to your neck or spine can be masked by adrenaline and stress. In short, you may be injured and not know it yet. Contact me for a phone consultation for more information.
The first 72 hours after a car accident are critical and a common injury like whiplash can go undetected for hours, days, or even weeks. You may have whiplash if you are suffering from any of these symptoms:
Reduced range of motion in the neck
Lower back pain
To reduce future pain or discomfort, whiplash should be evaluated within 72 hours by a physician.
Bear in mind these 5 facts about car accidents and care from your Rolfer:
1. Just because your car is not damaged does not mean you’re not. Bumpers take a lot of the force of a slow moving impact, but not all. The force has to travel somewhere and it travels through you.
2. Seat belts prevent you from being thrown against the steering wheel and from being thrown out of the car. You are, however, thrown against the belt. Shoulder injuries and whiplash are common symptoms.
3. Pain can take up to 10 days to show up after the most minor of car accidents. In particular, injuries to muscles, ligaments, and tendons can take weeks to manifest.
4. Even minor accident-related injuries can take a few Rolfing sessions of regular to show tangible and lasting relief from pain.
5. When you are in a car accident you are often jarred forward unexpectedly, making your head and neck especially vulnerable.
Understand, Rolfers do not diagnose, prevent or treat disease. After a car accident it is always advisable to see your doctor as soon as possible. If tests come up clear and you still experience pain and discomfort, you can contact a local Rolfer. Many clients experience pain and reduced mobility years after an accident. Don't let things go too far thinking they'll get better on their own. For more information, you can contact me to schedule a phone consultation or book your Rolfing session today.